You most likely have a bbq sauce recipe or brand in your grilling arsenal. Dad's tried and true secret spice blend or the store-bought bottle that reminds you of family reunion summer parties and goes well with a sparkling wine.
We love traditional bbq just as much as you do, but if you are seeking a lighter fare for the warm summer months ahead, we have the grilling recipe you will have on repeat. Combining sweet and savory flavors that work great with any protein -- we are partial to chicken -- and boasts apple cider vinegar and coconut sugar instead of refined white sugar which is typically found in store-bought versions.
Before you make your way to the grill (or take out the grill pan) be sure to check out our Womanista Approved BBQ Essentials for everything you need to showcase this delicious grilled dish!
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Chicken breasts, 12 ounces total
1/3 cup chopped mango
1/3 cup chopped pineapple
Few sprigs of chopped mint leaves
Squeeze of lemon juice
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and stir until the mixture is smooth. Simmer over medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place a grill pan on medium heat (or if grilling, preheat the grill). Lightly coat the chicken with some of the BBQ sauce using a pastry brush and place the meat on the grill or pan.
3. Place the remaining BBQ sauce, still in the small saucepan, over low heat or on the edge of a gas or charcoal grill and allow to gently simmer while the meat cooks.
4. Cook the chicken to your desired temperature and remove from the grill or pan, let rest for at least 5 minutes.
5. Mix the chutney ingredients together and serve atop the chicken.