While we love our original Skinny Chicken Salad recipe, making the decision to add avocados might be one of our more genius ideas. We use Greek yogurt to slim down the dressing, while the avocados ensure you’re getting your healthy fats.
Serving suggestions: Roll lettuce wraps or a La Tortilla Factory® Low Carb, High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortillas, Original Size tortilla as a light lunch.
Serve with a side of fruit or cut raw vegetables, or a simple green salad.
Recipe: Avocado Chicken Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 avocado, medium dice
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a medium stockpot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the bay leaf and chicken, then bring back up to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 15 minutes, flipping over at the halfway mark. The internal temperature should read 165º F.
- Discard the bay leaves and reserve the chicken on a plate until cool enough to touch, then shred and set aside.
- While the chicken is cooling, prepare the dressing in a large mixing bowl by whisking together the yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, salt, black pepper, cumin, and garlic powder.
- Add the avocado, red onion, cilantro, and cooled chicken to the bowl. Gently toss all of the ingredients together.
- Chill before serving.
Per Serving: (1 cup)
Calories from fat: 110
Saturated Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 107 mg