Many fans noticed an odd finish at Battleground's US Championship match between AJ Styles and Kevin Owens. It was oddly timed and no one seemed to react properly. It was weird, and now it looks like we know why.
There's a lot of information here, but it looks like someone in WWE may have made a severe mistake. Here's the updated timeline of information.
Up Next: What You Missed From RAW Last Night
- When the match began, Styles was the huge betting favorite (-4950 to Kevin Owens +1650). When Owens won, he performed a gambling miracle.
- Dave Meltzer reported that the decision was made last minute to have Owens beat Styles.
- The finish of the match was so awkward that WWE did not show it on replay on the WWE Network.
- A Twitter user caught the clunky ending.
Dave and Bryan didn't have the scoop on the AJ/Owen finish - I really wonder what sources they have now nowadays? pic.twitter.com/XRsY7p0oFa— rovert (@SoDuTw) July 24, 2017
- Fightful.com: "was able to confirm with a source that the ending of the AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens United States Championship match went awry, which explains several unusual situations at the close of the match."
- Then there's this footage of AJ Styles visibly upset after the match:
- This video came out the night of
- Then, Wade Keller of Pro-Wrestling Torch reported that there was "chaos" backstage after the match.
And now, WWE released this statement:
"WWE Battleground had more than its share of controversy, including the United States Championship battle between AJ Styles and Kevin Owens. In managing to reverse a submission hold by The Phenomenal One, KO scored a surprise three-count to reclaim his title and, perhaps, the right to once again call himself The New Face of America.0comments
How will the next chapter in this heated rivalry be written on SmackDown LIVE?"
There's plenty of twists and turns to get lost in, but it sounds like whatever the mistake was at Battleground, it will be written into SmackDown tonight.