Anna Faris' Thanksgiving celebration was interrupted by a carbon monoxide scare, but thankfully everything turned out alright. The 43-year-old actress spent her holiday in a rented vacation home in Lake Tahoe, California, where her guests began to feel ill. Thankfully, first responders got to the bottom of it in time.
Faris rented a house in Lake Tahoe for a private Thanksgiving dinner, with 13 people attending in total. According to a report by PEOPLE, several guests began complaining that they felt ill shortly after arriving, but they chalked it up to altitude sickness. After a while, however, two people needed to be hospitalized.
Doctors soon determined that the two people in the hospital had carbon monoxide poisoning, so the authorities called to check up on the rest of Faris' party. Thankfully, the others were able to evacuate in time.
According to a press release from the North Tahoe Fire Protection District, the house was found to have over six times the maximum recommended levels of carbon monoxide for indoor spaces. This was after the house was left with doors and windows open to ventilate the space.
Two more of Faris' guests were taken to the hospital, and all were treated for the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Afterward, Faris shared the story on social media, thanking the first responders for all their help. She called the whole ordeal "stupidly dramatic."
"I'm not quite sure how to express gratitude to the north Lake Tahoe fire department— we were saved from carbon monoxide- it’s a stupidly dramatic story but I’m feeling very fortunate," she tweeted.
I’m not quite sure how to express gratitude to the north Lake Tahoe fire department- we were saved from carbon monoxide- it’s a stupidly dramatic story but I’m feeling very fortunate pic.twitter.com/zqsW77Tda0— Anna Faris (@AnnaKFaris) November 30, 2019
The first responders reportedly said that Faris and her guests are "lucky to be alive" after their exposure to such strong gas, especially without carbon monoxide alarms to warn them. North Tahoe fire chief Mike Schwartz issued a statement saying the whole department was pleased by the way things worked out.0comments
"We are so thankful to report that this holiday disaster was averted," he said. "Situational awareness is so important. Whether you are at home or traveling, it is important ensure that smoke and CO alarms are in working order anywhere you stay. It’s not a bad idea to consider bringing your own alarm when you travel, just to be safe."
Carbon monoxide is infamously referred to as the "silent killer," due to how difficult it is to detect. The gas is odorless and colorless, but when it is inhaled it deprives the bloodstream of oxygen, causing victims to die by suffocation without realizing why. The Center for Disease Control recommends installing battery-operated alarms near sleeping areas, and getting furnaces inspected regularly. Find out more on the CDC's website.