Teen Girl Dies After Using Cell Phone in the Bathtub

A 14-year-old girl has died after using her cell phone while in the bathtub, KCBD reports.

KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Madison Coe was found dead in the bathtub at her father's house in Lubbock, New Mexico on Sunday, and her family believes she had either plugged her phone in or grabbed it while it was plugged in, resulting in her electrocution.

The teen had just graduated from eighth grade.

"It is with heavy hearts that Frenship ISD mourns the loss of Madison Coe. We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together," school officials said in a statement.

MORE: 'True Blood' Star Nelsan Ellis Has Died

"I call her my shining star," said her grandmother, Donna O'Guinn. "There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that's what had happened."

Coe was set to start high school in Houston as her family was in the process of moving. Her grandmother said that the family wants to share Coe's story to help spread awareness.

"This is such a tragedy that doesn't need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging," O'Guinn said.

"It's overwhelming to realize that there are people that we don't even know and we'll probably never even meet that have taken this message and shared it to protect another child or even an adult," she continued. We don't want to lose anybody."

A GoFundMe account has been set up to help Coe's family.

0comments

Photo Credit: Twitter / @CBSNews

Related:

Viral Video Actress Stevie Ryan Dies At 33, Suicide Suspected
Nashville Musician Nathan Johnson's Wife Dies Hours After Giving Birth
Texas Toddlers Die After Mom Leaves Them in Hot Car as Punishment