The show was added to the "Outstanding Costumes for a Contemporary Series Limited Series or Movie" category after the previously announced nominee, This Is Us, was removed from the category.
The category qualifications state that an entry must be "an episode where at least 51 percent of the action takes place within the past 25 years." This Is Us' nominated episode, the season one finale "Moonshadow," took place mostly through 1970s flashbacks.
The modern stipulation isn't a problem for House of Cards, as it's firmly set in the present. The entry submitted was season five's ninth episode, "Chapter 61."
The crew members being recognized are Johanna Argan (Costume Designer), Kemal Harris (Costume Designer for Robin Wright), Jessica Wenger (Assistant Costume Designer) and Steffany Bernstein-Pratt (Costume Supervisor).
The show will join the previously announced nominees Transparent, Empire, Big Little Lies and fellow Netflix series Grace and Frankie.
This brings the House of Cards total number of Emmy nominations to seven. This full list of nominations is below.
- Outstanding Drama Series
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series (Robin Wright)
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series (Kevin Spacey)
- Outstanding Supporting Actorin a Drama Series (Michael Kelly)
- Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series One Hour
- Outstanding Music Composition For A Series Original Dramatic Score
- Outstanding Costumes For A Contemporary Series Limited Series or Movie
CBS will air the Emmys on Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. CT.
All five seasons of House of Cards are currently streaming on Netflix.
Photo Credit: House of Cards