Believe it or not, all fruits are not created equal! When it comes to watching your waistline, there are some fruits out there that you should definitely think twice about munching on! Some options that we would normally reach for are packed with way more sugar and calories than we ever would have guessed. Keep in mind that, while they may be slightly worse for you than other fruits, these options still beat out that bag of candy you keep for special occasions! Stocking your diet with an abundance of fruits (and veggies) is an essential part of staying healthy.
1. Dried fruits: While these tasty treats are an easy way to satisfy your sweet tooth, they often contain way more sugar than fresh fruit. One small box of raisins has about 130 calories and 25 grams of sugar!
2. Figs: Fresh figs are a great way to regulate your digestive system, but their sugar content can really sneak up on you. One cup contains nearly 300 calories and over 40 grams of sugar, so try to limit how many you munch on during your afternoon snack.
3. Bananas: While bananas are packed with essential nutrients like potassium and dietary fiber, they also contain a good deal of sugar. One medium-sized banana has about 20 grams of sugar, so consider slicing it in half as a pre-workout treat. Check out our Skinny Blackberry Banana Smoothie here.
4. Canned fruits: While those pre-packaged fruit cocktails can be ridiculously tasty and super convenient for on-the-go moms, they can also be soaked in sugary syrup. One small cup usually has upwards of 20 grams of sugar, and over 100 calories!
>> Read more: Berry Good Nutrition: Tiny Powerhouse Fruits
5. Mangoes: We know this one might come as a blow to those of you who can't get enough of this exotic delicacy, but mangoes tend to be pretty high in sugar. One mango contains about 31 grams of sugar, so consider sharing this juicy treat.
6. Grapes: We often fall into the habit of popping these babies without thinking about the consequences, but 1 cup of grapes clocks in at about 15 grams of sugar. It's probably best to minimize the splurging when it comes to these tasty snacks.
7. Pomegranates: These delectable little seeds may seem like the perfect way to curb our sweet tooth, but they actually contain more sugar than you would expect! One pomegranate has almost 40 grams of sugar, so sprinkle these sparingly.
8. Frozen fruits: While frozen fruit may seem like the logical and economical choice for families on a budget, it often loses much of its nutrition during the freezing process. Plus, companies often add a lot of sugar to keep those berries sweet!
9. Cherries: Cherries are renowned for their disease-fighting properties, but they also possess quite a bit of sugar. A 100-gram serving of these succulent treats has about 13 grams of sugar, so snack accordingly.
10. Apples: It's hard to argue the benefits of eating an apple a day: They're packed with fiber, and are known to help regulate blood sugar levels. However, one large apple can contain upwards of 20 grams of sugar, so stick to smaller sizes.
Luckily, you can add most fruits to your diet without thinking twice! Here are some of our favorite fruits that won't spoil those weight loss resolutions: (via AOL: Lifestyle)
For more fruits that are low in sugar, but high in flavor, click here.