An investigation is being launched into an alleged incident between two of the contestants on Bachelor In Paradise, Corinne
What many fans of the ABC series want to know is what happened on the set of Bachelor in Paradise?
On June 11, Warner Bros. released a statement explaining that the upcoming fourth season of the spinoff show was being put on hold indefinitely.
"We have become aware of allegations of misconduct on the set of Bachelor in Paradise in Mexico. We have suspended production and we are conducting a thorough investigation of these allegations. Once the investigation is complete, we will take appropriate responsive action."
The alleged incident occurred on June 4 at a resort in Sayulita, Mexico between 25-year-old Corinne
"Everyone is just going about their business. Cameras are rolling. Producers are everywhere," an insider said while talking to Entertainment Tonight. "That's when a 'third party' felt uncomfortable, claiming misconduct in the workplace. As of right now, production of Paradise is suspended indefinitely. And they are sending everyone home and telling everyone else to stay home. Demario and Corinne got home soon after."
The incident became highly worrisome after Corinne claimed that she was too drunk to have properly given consent to engage in any form of sexual activity with DeMario.
Corinne Olympios Speaks Out
"I am a victim and have spent the last week trying to make sense of what happened the night of June 4," Corinne said in a statement to Variety. "Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show filed a complaint against the production. As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality."
Corinne hired Hollywood lawyer Marty Singer to come to her defense. Singer's celebrity client list includes Charlie Sheen, Quentin Tarantino, Sharon Stone, John Travolta, and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
The statement continued: "As I pursue the details and facts surrounding that night and the immediate days after, I have retained a group of professionals to ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening."prevnext
DeMario Jackson vehemently denies that there was any sexual interaction with Corinne in which she didn't give her consent, or was too drunk to give her consent.
An insider who is reportedly tight with Jackson revealed that he believes the video footage from the incident will clear his name.
"He's definitely said a few times that based on his conversations with other castmates who were there, they never felt like it was to the level it's being portrayed," the source said. "DeMario feels the footage [from the show] will back up his side."
The source also told PEOPLE that Jackson has been in "high spirits" despite the allegations against him.
“He certainly isn’t the man he’s being portrayed to be. It’s hard for his loved ones to sit and watch most of the slanderous accusations and comments from individuals who don’t know anything about who he is," the source said. "The truth may tell a different story than what’s been reported thus far.”prevnext
Anonymous Contestant Speaks Out
One of the contestants, under the guise of anonymity, spoke out about the moments after the castmates were placed on "lockdown."
“We were told to stay in a certain part of the [resort] while they figured out what the hell had happened,” the contestant said. “We knew something bad had happened; there was a dark energy that came around the house. You have to understand that we weren’t even there a week. The game hadn’t even really begun yet.”
The contestant continued by saying: “They stopped taping anything, and we were just kind of there, waiting in limbo. We couldn’t talk to each other about what we knew. On Thursday, one of the camera guys told me that they were probably going to shut down production. I didn’t realize that it was that serious until then. I was like, ‘Wait, they’re thinking of canceling the show?’ It hadn’t even crossed my mind that they’d do that.”
In regards to returning to Mexico to film Bachelor In Paradise, the contestant said that the cast is "waiting in limbo."
“They stopped taping anything, and we were just kind of there, waiting in limbo,” the contestant said. “We couldn’t talk to each other about what we knew. On Thursday, one of the camera guys told me that they were probably going to shut down production. I didn’t realize that it was that serious until then. I was like, ‘Wait, they’re thinking of canceling the show?’ It hadn’t even crossed my mind that they’d do that.”prevnext
Host Chris Harrison Speaks Out
“By now, no doubt, you have heard that we have suspended production on this season’s Bachelor in Paradise," Harrison said to begin his statement. "I can confirm to you that this is sadly the case. Out of respect to all involved, there’s only so much I can and will say at this time. Normally with a situation like this I would not say anything until the incident is fully resolved, but with all the rumors and misinformation being put out there, I don’t find that to be possible anymore."
He continued by saying: “Let me start by saying the safety and care of the cast and crew of our show is of the utmost importance to us. It is with this thought in mind that we made the decision to suspend filming. An investigation into the situation was started immediately. Warner Bros. is handling the details of that investigation. They’re moving quickly to gather all the facts, and once that’s done, a clear, concise decision can be made about where we go from here.”
“There are a lot of competing details in the various press accounts of the incident. And there’s a lot of misinformation out there too. We urge everyone to be patient until the investigation is complete."
“I know in this day and age we want — and even expect — immediate answers, but in this case, it’s just not possible," Harrison concluded. "So again, I urge you to please be patient and respect the privacy of the parties involved. I will keep you as informed and up to date as I possibly can. We’re sorry for any inconvenience and disappointment this may have caused the cast, the crew and our loyal fans. It is my sincere hope that we can come to a quick resolution on this and get back to work very soon.”prevnext
Bachelor Nation Reactions
Several of the members of the extended Bachelor and Bachelorette nation have shared their reactions to the incident between Corinne and DeMario.
Contestant Clare Crawley tweeted: "I remember the days when the worst things that happened in paradise were fire ants and raccoons. I hope everything is ok!"
Tanner Tolbert expressed regret for everyone involved.
"I feel bad for everyone involved... cast and crew... and that people aren't going to be able to enjoy an experience that meant so much to us," he tweeted.0comments
Marcus Grodd tweeted: "Hopefully everyone is ok in Paradise! How awful would it be if things are true?! Prayers!"
Lacy Faddoul, Grodd's former Bachelor in Paradise fiancée, also addressed the issue writing: "Sad to see #BachelorInParadise is possibly canceled. Roses must be dead."prev