When Music City descends on Las Vegas for the ACM Awards every year, the red carpet glam smoulders as hot as the desert sun! This year the country starlets did not disappoint in the beauty department. Our own Cassie Kelley rocked a hair and makeup look that paired pretty with modern glam. We’ve broken down each step with her glam squad so that you can recreate her look on your own for your next night on the town! Bright lights of Vegas not included…
- Begin with unwashed hair, parted in the middle of your head. If your part is already on the other side, spritz the top pieces hair with water and blowdry it into a middle part. Lightly spray with Loreal Elnett Hair Spray all over your head.
- Section the hair, securing all the hair from the middle of your ear down above your head. Curl the section of hair below with a curling iron, clamping the hair over and wrapping the ends of the hair around the barrel. Slightly varying the angle of the curling iron so the curls don’t all stick together.
- Tease the top layer of hair you just curled, this will act as a secure foundation for clip-in extensions. Put the longest hair extensions in on this layer.
- Follow this for the second layer of hair, alternating slightly where the clips on the extensions are placed on your head so they don’t protrude.
- For the top most section of hair, curl the pieces around your face, away from your face. Pull the curl with your fingers to soften. Use Oribe Root Touch Up on the scalp line and tease the hair on the crown of the head.
- Lightly brush out all the curls, so they become more wave-like. Re-curl any areas that are too straight. Use Kiehl's Creative Cream Wax on any fly-away pieces and finish with hair spray.
With the vintage and 70s feel of the fringe gown, makeup artist Natalie Davison went for a modern take on the retro winged eye. She recommends always starting with the eyes first when it comes to doing your makeup (especially when doing a dramatic eye) and that way any extra eye makeup can easily be removed prior to applying foundation with a makeup wipe.
- Using a combination of MAC Eyeshadow Palette, apply a soft layer of eye shadows, blending the shadows outward.
- Then apply the medium brown shadow to the creases of the eye, blending outward. Press your makeup brush into MAC shadow in 'Gilded Thrill' and apply to the center of the eye lid.
- Use to line the top of your waterline and begin the winged eye shape by extending a powder liner diagonal past the eye lid.
- Apply a light layer of Makeup Forever Mascara before applying Ardel ‘Double Up’ eyelashes with DUO glue. Once set, finish with additional mascara to blend them with your natural lashes.
- Apply MAC gel liner in ‘Blacktrack’ over the eyeliner, thickening the line to make a bolder winged look.
- Lightly line the lower waterline with the powder liner.
Face and Lips
Natalie went for a dewy, lightly bronzed look to complement the dramatic eyes and a peach-pink lip, mimicking the hues from Kelley’s gown. The result was glamourous and fresh look that Natalie describes as “bringing color into the face” by using strategic contouring and bronzing.
- Prep the skin with Embryolisse Nourishing Moisturizer, follow with a combination of Makeup Forever High Definition foundation (Kelley’s shade is 118) and MAC 'Strobe Cream,' about a 2 to 1 ratio of foundation to strobe cream.
- Apply MAC Select Cover-Up under the eyes and on any trouble areas with a concealer blending brush.
- Begin to contour the face with Smashbox’s ‘Step-by-Step’ contour pencils. Use the darkest shade to contour the cheeks, applying long dashes of the pencil under the cheek bone, on either side of the face along the hairline, on the chin and down the long side of the nose. Blend with the beautyblender.
- Use the highlighter pencil in the Smashbox set under the eyebrow and above the cheekbones, apply MAC Matte Blush in 'Modern Mandarin' to the cheeks, lightly dusting as you smile to apply the blush to the apples of your cheeks. Blend upward towards the top of your ear.
- Apply a light dusting all over the face of Hourglass Ambient Powder in 'Ethereal Light' for a touch of shimmer, then apply Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder under the eyes.
- Line lips with a neutral shade lip pencil and apply YSL Rouge Volupté Perle lipstick in 'Insolent Beige.' Finish with Hourglass Cosmetics Extreme Sheen High Shine lip gloss in 'Fortune.'
‘Damara’ by Temperley London
White laser-cut box clutch: Clara Kasavina
Jewelry: Custom rose gold and pave diamond ring, similar here
BCBG, no longer available, similar here
Spa Ritual Gold Line in 'Allure'