Are you hesitant to feed your child neon-orange macaroni from a box? If the answer is yes, then you've stumbled into the right place, because we've created a healthier version of mac-n-cheese that the kids are sure to love. You'll know all the ingredients that go into this yummy dish, and we all know that makes a mom happy!
Recipe: Healthy Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
- 12 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni, dry
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat mild cheddar shredded cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the butter and onion, and cook until the onions are translucent, 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Increase the heat to medium-high and whisk in the milk and chicken broth. Stir frequently until the sauce starts to thicken, 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the cheese sauce to the drained macaroni, and stir to evenly coat.
The nutrition content of recipes on Popculture.com have been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.