Contrary to popular belief, fat doesn't necessarily make you fat! Actually, consuming healthy fats is an essential part of weight loss! Fat is a great source of energy, and can actually help protect your organs and boost the absorption of important nutrients in the body. However, let's remember that all fats are not created equal; that greasy hamburger or slice of triple-cheese pizza is still off-limits for those of us who are watching our waistlines. We've gone ahead and compiled a list of healthy fats that will satisfy those cravings AND help you reach your weight loss goals.
>> Read more: Eat More to Lose More: Fact or Myth?
1. Lean beef: Studies have found that grass-fed beef is packed with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which go a long way in protecting your heart health! Also, grass-fed beef tends to be leaner than other cuts, so you don't have to be afraid to indulge! Check out 40 healthy beef recipes under 400 calories.
2. Olive oil: Olive oil is full of monounsaturated fatty acids, or the "good" kind of fat, and is known to combat diseases such as cancer, Type 2 diabetes, strokes, osteoporosis and depression. Olive oil is a perfect addition to your homemade salad dressings.
3. Coconut: In addition to boosting the immune system, coconuts are renowned for several other health benefits as well! One study even found that consuming coconut oil daily actually reduced abdominal obesity. Check out these 20 amazing health benefits of coconuts by clicking here.
4. Dark chocolate: Studies have revealed that consuming a little bit of dark chocolate can actually stave off those hunger pangs! People who consumed 3.5 ounces of dark chocolate two hours before a meal consumed almost 20 percent less calories than those who ate milk chocolate. Learn about 13 more health benefits of dark chocolate here.
5. Almonds: A handful of almonds makes for the perfect afternoon snack. Almonds are packed full of nutrients that can actually limit the absorption of fat by the body. They are also a great source of protein, which makes them a great go-to source of energy! Click here to see 11 reasons why almonds are all you need.
6. Avocado: This delectable superfood is chock-full of ingredients that will help keep your waistline nice and trim! Avocados contain lots of fiber and protein, which makes them excellent appetite suppressants. Want to learn more about the connection between avocados and weight loss? Click here!
7. Wild salmon: Nothing beats a savory slab of salmon when it comes to satisfying your weight loss goals! Salmon is overflowing with omega-3 fatty acids, which can help promote heart health and good blood pressure. Click here to learn more about wild salmon vs. farm raised salmon.
8. Peanut butter: Peanut butter is full of monounsaturated fats, which make it the perfect way to ward off unhealthy cravings! A spoonful of peanut butter will help satisfy your hunger and boost your energy. Check out these 14 low-calorie PB recipes.
9. Sunflower seeds: Talk about a savory snack that will keep you full and focused during the day! They contain a good deal of fiber, which aids in digestion, and they're also known to boost metabolism.