Meghan Markle's Father Suffers Heart Attack, Will Miss Royal Wedding

Meghan Markle's father will not walk her down the aisle when she marries Prince Harry on Saturday.

After much speculation, Thomas Markle Sr. will reportedly not be in attendance for their upcoming nuptials. TMZ reports that almost a week after suffering a heart attack, Markle Sr. has decided not to make the trip across the pond to the royal wedding.

After suffering a heart attack six days ago, Markle Sr. said he checked himself out of the hospital so he could attend the royal wedding, but has since decided against it because he doesn't want to "embarrass" the royal family or his daughter.

Markle Sr. admitted to the news outlet that he "meant no harm" to Markle or the Royal Family when he allowed a photo agency to take photos of him preparing for the wedding. He reportedly admitted that the photos look "stupid and hammy."

Markle Sr. reportedly said he posed for the paparazzi photos published last week in order to recast the disheveled image he says the media has created for him over the past year.

Thomas Markle Jr., Markle's half brother, told Mirror that their father will "apologize sincerely to Meg," while another source also told Mirror that Markle Sr. is "deeply embarrassed" by the incident.

“People are quick to judge but they have no idea how much scrutiny we live under," Markle Jr. added.

On Sunday, the Daily Mail published surveillance footage appearing to show the 73-year-old Markle Sr. arriving at an internet cafe with photographer Jeff Rayner in Rosarito, Mexico, where he now lives. The two appear to be staging a photo of Markle Sr. looking at a photo of his daughter and Prince Harry on a computer screen.

According to the Daily Mail, the internet cafe photo was just one of several images sold to newspapers around the world that were taken with Markle Sr.'s cooperation. The others show him working out with weights to apparently get in shape for the wedding, getting measured by a "tailor" for a custom suit and looking at a book on British landmarks in a Starbucks.

It is estimated that the photos sold for up to £100,000, or about $135,500 — although Markle Sr. denied to TMZ that they sold for even $100,000. He says that his motivation in posing for the photographs was not financial, and that he has turned down several paid interview requests since Markle and Harry started dating.

In its investigation into the scheme, the Daily Mail found the "tailor" was really a 17-year-old assistant at a party goods shop. Markle Sr. and the photographer chose the party shop for the photos because they arrived at the suit store after it closed.

"It was really strange. This big American guy got the measuring tape out of his pocket and he was saying things in English. I don’t speak good English but I understood what he wanted me to do. The photographer he was with stepped back to the street and started taking pictures," said David Flores, the party goods shop assistant.

"The big man was showing me what to do with the tape, holding it across himself," Flores continued. "I just went along with it. I was telling him the measurements but he didn’t write them down or anything."

According to the Mail, the photos in the internet cafe were taken on March 27, and the visit to the party goods shop was photographed the day before. However, the photos were sold to newspapers on different days throughout April.

The news of Markle Sr.'s heart attack comes as the Royal Family prepares for the wedding on Saturday, when Markle Sr. would have met Prince Harry for the first time in person.

Markle’s mother, Doria Ragland, will be staying at a hotel with her daughter the night before the royal wedding. They will then travel together by car to St. George’s Chapel where they were expected to meet Meghan’s dad to walk her down the aisle.

0comments

Prince Harry also issued a strongly-worded statement in 2016 because of the paparazzi's obsession with Markle and her family, as well as the U.K. media's headlines about her race. The Royal Family said Prince Harry feared for Markle's safety, especially since his mother, Princess Diana, died in 1997 while being hounded by the paparazzi.

"Meghan Markle, has been subject to a wave of abuse and harassment," the November 2016 statement from Kensington Palace read. "Some of this has been very public - the smear on the front page of a national newspaper; the racial undertones of comment pieces; and the outright sexism and racism of social media trolls and web article comments. Some of it has been hidden from the public - the nightly legal battles to keep defamatory stories out of papers; her mother having to struggle past photographers in order to get to her front door; the attempts of reporters and photographers to gain illegal entry to her home and the calls to police that followed; the substantial bribes offered by papers to her ex-boyfriend; the bombardment of nearly every friend, co-worker, and loved one in her life."