It's a chilly Sunday afternoon. The football game plays on TV, your family cheers on your team and you sit warmly wrapped in a blanket on the couch. A rare relaxing moment interrupted only by getting up to check on the hot pot of chili simmering on the stove. Serving up a bowl of our Lean Turkey Chili will become a Sunday tradition as soon as your family gets a whiff of the warm, hearty aroma — not to mention a taste! And at 240 calories per cup of chili, you won't even feel bad going back for seconds!
Here's how to dice those onions!
Prep time: Less than 10 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Yield: 9 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 14.5-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5-ounce can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Two 14.5-ounce reduced-sodium diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat, add the oil and cook the garlic, onion, and turkey for about 6-8 minutes until the turkey is cooked and the onions are translucent. Use a wooden spoon to break the turkey up as it cooks.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with optional toppings as desired.
Per Serving: (1 cup), Calories: 240, Calories from fat: 42, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 36mg, Sodium: 587mg, Carbohydrates: 34g, Fiber: 10g, Sugar 6g, Protein: 18g, SmartPoints: 5
The nutrition content of recipes on Popculture.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.