An MGM Grand Detroit employee is heard telling the dispatcher that she has a guest in the hotel that is unresponsive, TMZ reports. At the time, CPR had not been administered on the Soundgarden frontman due to his attempt to take his own life. They were unable to free him.
First responders had a difficult time opening Cornell’s door to save him, since they had to get open the door he was using to hang himself.
Cornell used common exercise equipment to take his own life. A toxicology report later revealed he was under the influence of multiple prescription drugs at the time. He passed away at the age of 52.