When Disney and Pixar announced plans for Toy Story 4 last year, many fans protested the decision, arguing that the initial trilogy of films told a complete and satisfying tale.
Well, it looks like those protesters may be getting their way with the upcoming Toy Story installment. In a recent interview, Pixar President Jim Morris revealed that the studios’ next toy-faring adventure would, at best, only have tertiary ties to the original trilogy starring Buzz Lightyear and Woody.
As Morris stated, Pixar’s current plan for Toy Story 4 is to make a romantic comedy that’s light on the human-to-toy interactions, as well as any direct links to the previous Toy Stories.
“It is not a continuation of the end of the story of Toy Story 3,” Morris told Disney Latino. “The third movie was over in a beautiful way and completed a trilogy.”
Morris further revealed that the fourth installments story would not launch a new story arc or franchise. Instead, he hopes to contain it to a standalone story, for now at least.
But, Morris insinuated that development is still very fluid at this point, and plans could still change. So, who knows, maybe this isn’t the end of Buzz and Woody after all.
Toy Story 4 hits theaters on June 16, 2017.