What do you get when you combine a juicy green tomato and a lightly breaded, flavorful crust? Flavor that will remind you of nothing but the South! With hints of cayenne and paprika, these succulent slices of tomatoes are baked instead of fried, making them only 122 calories per serving. You can really ramp up the flavors by serving them with a skinny sauce, like this light chipotle ranch dressing!
Recipe: Oven-Baked 'Fried' Green Tomatoes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 3 slices
- 1½ pounds green tomatoes (about 3 large green tomatoes)
- ⅓ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup ground flax meal
- ¼ cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Slice the tomatoes into twelve ¼-inch to ½-inch slices.
- Set up two shallow bowls. Fill one bowl with the buttermilk and hot sauce. In the other bowl, combine panko, flax, Parmesan, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper, and mix together.
- Dip each tomato slice in the buttermilk mixture, allow the excess to drip off and then transfer to the Panko mixture and lightly press breadcrumbs on the tomato on both sides.
- Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
The nutrition content of recipes on Popculture.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.