In an ideal world, working out, eating healthy, building a loving relationship with your family and friends, and participating in a stimulating career should ultimately result in total happiness, right? Unfortunately, many of us have pushed ourselves to the edge trying to achieve even the illusion of happiness, but we often fall short because of those nagging doubts and negative thoughts. However, studies have revealed that maintaining a positive attitude can actually benefit your health! Ladies, it is time to become a glass-half-full kind of girl, because the power of a positive attitude may just be the solution to your problems!
A positive mindset can help you expect success. Instead of spending the night before a presentation at work stressing and missing out on those crucial eight hours of sleep, visualizing your imminent success can go a long way in giving you an extra boost of confidence. Rather than worrying about failure, try to remind yourself of all the little wins you accumulated throughout your day. Think about how you got little Johnny to eat his breakfast without throwing any of it on the floor, or how your boss stopped by to personally compliment you on that report you had spent the weekend slaving over. Even the smallest success can make a bad day seem a bit brighter. Plus, a brighter outlook goes a long way in increasing your faith in yourself, which might make that presentation seem like a breeze!
A positive mindset gives you more energy. We all have those days where we roll out of bed and onto the scale, and the number staring back at us threatens to ruin our day. By adopting a positive attitude, you can turn a supposed pitfall into an opportunity. Instead of letting that number blind you, try thinking of it as a chance to start fresh. Imagine your body as a blank slate, and every activity you do during the day transforms that slate into a new and improved version of yourself. Allow the prospect of joining a spinning class or testing an intriguing new diet fill you with hope and energy. Crank up some motivational music while driving to work and let yourself loosen up! You will find that working out and eating clean isn't quite as daunting as you expected, and you will experience a surge of positive energy!
A positive mindset makes you more approachable. No one wants to talk to the woman who sits alone at her desk during her lunch and plays solitaire. By opening up to the people around you, you will find that people will develop a profound sense of respect and admiration for you. Your attitude could make you a role model to your friends and family, and you may just find that you become inspiring to others. A simple adjustment in your outlook on life can go a long way in lightening the lives of those around you. Spending time with the girls will no longer be about bashing on a straying husband, or a inconsiderate coworker. Instead, your newfound optimism can help you open the door to a plethora of much more stimulating activities. You and your friends and can embrace a more supportive and healthy lifestyle by experimenting with some of our favorite activities.
>> Read More: How to End a Bad Day on a Good Note (And Why You Should)
A positive mindset helps you see opportunities. In the midst of the seemingly insurmountable chaos that serves as the foundation of motherhood, it can often be challenging to spot opportunities. However, opening yourself up to optimism and creative thinking makes you more susceptible to new prospects. Perhaps you've been struggling for the last year or so with your job; instead of letting yourself stay stuck, try seeing this as a chance to branch out and explore some of your other interests. You would be surprised by the amount of opportunities out there that are just lying around, waiting to be discovered! if you feel as if your life is lacking is certain areas, don't be afraid to let yourself sample something new! Why not try out that pole dancing class your friend is raving about? Chances are, you are going to discover a variety of new interests that you never even knew existed.
A positive mindset helps you believe in yourself. I challenge you to find a woman who can look in the mirror and not find at least one thing that she wishes she could change about herself. It is time to shed the expectations of our culture and love ourselves for who we are, not who we wish we could be. Who wouldn't kill for Kate Beckinsale's bangin' body? Instead of focusing on what you don't have, give this week-long challenge a try. Every day, stand in front of the mirror for at least 5 minutes and focus on the things that you admire about your body (everyone has at least one feature that they secretly love!). In that time, write down every positive thought you have about yourself. You will be surprised by how much that list will motivate you to believe in yourself and follow through on your goals!
Alright, so this all sounds just great, right? But how do you go about acquiring a positive attitude? We recommend focusing on a few basic things that should help get you started!
- Choose to look at the bright side of life. Your daughter's goldfish died? Well, maybe she has developed enough responsibility to adopt a hamster!
- Consciously combat negative thinking. For all you realists out there, this might take a little more work! Stick with it, the payoff is well worth the effort!
- Set realistic goals. You want your arms to look like Jillian Michaels'? It's not going to happen overnight. Try adding a couple sets of these awesome exercises to your workout routine!
- Cut yourself some slack. We're not saying that becoming an optimist is going to be easy. Remember that occasional relapses are a perfectly natural part of this journey, and try not to get discouraged!
- Surround yourself with positive people. It might be time to distance yourself from that one friend who can find a fault in everyone. Finding fun ways to spend time with your friends will go a long way in eliminating those grungy gossip sessions!
- Read inspiring quotes or stories. It doesn't matter how cheesy they are if they make you smile, or give you that little surge of elation!
- Count your blessings. Try writing down three things you are grateful for every night before you go to sleep. It really puts things in perspective! Click here to see some other reasons why you should keep a journal!
>> Read more: Find the Positives in a Negative World