Matt Lauer may not be planning a return to his TV career anytime soon, despite his recent assurances to fans in New York City.
Lauer made headlines last month when he reportedly spoke to fans at Donohue’s Steak House in Manhattan. Page Six reported at the time that a group of middle-aged women had run into Lauer at his familiar haunt, and complained that they missed seeing him on TV every morning.
Videos by PopCulture.com
“I’ve been busy being a dad. But don’t worry, I’ll be back on TV,” the former anchor reportedly said at the time. Now, however, sources tell PEOPLE that he has changed his tune.
“Matt doesn’t really socialize much with his friends anymore. He’s been staying close to home and laying really low and focusing all his energy on the kids,” an insider reported. “If he does go out, it’s for them. He supports his kids’ events.”
The source said that Lauer is living at his family home in the Hamptons, along with his three children and his estranged wife, Annette Roque. Despite the recent reports to the contrary, the insider said that he “is not planning any kind of TV comeback right now.”
According to the source, Lauer is still mired in guilt over the many claims of sexual assault and misconduct made against him. They said that he “is truly devastated and wants to make up for anything he has done to hurt people.”
The insider made no attempt to downplay Lauer’s issues with Roque, however. The long-time couple are reportedly close to a divorce settlement, aided by a “post-nuptial” agreement they signed after Roque’s previous divorce filings in 2006, which she eventually dropped.
“But the damage in his marriage can’t be fixed, and each would be better off to move on,” the source said. “They know this, but the kids are important to both of them.”
The source’s words conflict with recent quotes attributed to Lauer himself. In addition to the steak house sighting, he gave an interview on Radio New Zealand’s Checkpoint back in July, insinuating that the damage to his public image during the Me Too Movement allowed the country’s Walking Access Commission to try and get an easement, allowing them greater access to his massive property in New Zealand.
“I think this is why this fight has been chosen now,” he said, referring to his personal bad press. Lauer was subjected to a “good character test” in order to purchase the 26,500-acre property.
Most Viewed
-

โReverse the Curseโ โ Back from tribal, tensions rise following the exit of a particularly historic player. The final five immunity challenge ends in a showdown and features one of the closest finishes the show has ever seen. Jeff reveals the outcomes of the remaining in-game fan votes and how they impact the final stage of the competition. Then, one castaway will be crowned Sole Survivor and awarded the $2 million prize, during the three-hour live season finale, on SURVIVOR 50, Wednesday, May 20 (8:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+ (live and on-demand for Paramount+ Premium plan subscribers, or on-demand for Paramount+ Essential subscribers the day after the episode airs)*. Jeff Probst serves as host and executive producer. Pictured: Aubry Bracco Photo: Robert Voets/CBS ยฉ2025 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved. -

Netflix logo is displayed during the 'Paris Games Week' on November 02, 2017 in Paris, France. Netflix is an American company offering streaming movies and TV series on the Internet. 'Paris Games Week' is an international trade fair for video games and runs from November 01 to November 5, 2017. (Credit: Chesnot / Getty Images)






