Who doesn't love a good cornbread muffin? The cornmeal gives it that authentic cornbread taste, while skinny swaps like whole-wheat flour, almond milk and applesauce cut out tons of calories and fats. For only 132 calories and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per muffin, you really can't go wrong! Both the kids and Mom and Dad alike will love them.
Looking for more healthy living ideas, workouts and recipes? Check us out on Pinterest!
Recipe: Whole-Wheat Cornbread Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 18-20 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Serving size: 1 muffin
- 1½ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat white flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray 12 muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg. Then add the almond milk, applesauce and melted butter.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix together until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each one about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden.
Per Serving: (1 muffin)
Calories from fat: 20
Saturated Fat: 1g
The nutrition content of recipes on Popculture.com have been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.