The official statement from the NFL regarding the six-game suspension to Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott pic.twitter.com/V0T24RAZ62— 247Sports (@247Sports) August 11, 2017
The NFL released a statement on Friday in regards to the situation.
"Ezekiel Elliott of the Dallas Cowboys was notified today by the NFL that he will be suspended without pay for the team's first six 2017 regular-season games for violating the league's Personal Conduct Policy," the statement reads.
"Over the course of the last year, the league conducted an extensive investigation. League investigators interviewed more than a dozen witnesses, including Ms. Tiffany Thompson, who had alleged multiple instances of physical violence in July 2016, and Mr. Elliott. The league also consulted with medical experts. League investigators examined all available evidence, including photographic and digital evidence, thousands of text messages and other records of electronic communications."
Back in July, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said there was no evidence of a domestic violence incident.
“I have reviewed everything, and there is absolutely nothing – not one thing – that had anything to do with domestic violence,” Jones said, according to Yahoo Sports. “My opinion is there’s not even an issue over he said, she said. There’s not even an issue there.”
In the past, Elliott, the 22-year-old running back has found himself in minor trouble. However, nothing as serious as a domestic violence allegation. He was allegedly involved in a bar fight last month and got a misdemeanor for a speeding ticket after being clocked going 100 miles per hour.
Last season, Elliott led the NFL in rushing as a rookie. He had 1,631 yards to go with 15 rushing touchdowns.
This story is developing...
Photo Credit: Getty / Otto Greule Jr