The first film in Universal Pictures' "Dark Universe" slate of remakes, The Mummy, will be available for digital download on August 22 and on Blu-ray and DVD September 12. For those of you who are fans of a film's special features, you're in luck, because The Mummy will be packed with plenty of goodies.
The film's special features are as follows:
- Deleted and Extended Scenes
- Cruise & Kurtzman: A Conversation Rooted in Reality – Tom Cruise and Alex Kurtzman discuss the making of The Mummy.
- Rooted in Reality – Filmmakers and cast reveal how they broke away from old tropes and traditions to create a dynamic and realistic
21st centurymonster movie.
- Life in Zero-G: Creating the Plane Crash – Watch Tom Cruise, Annabelle Wallis, and the crew shoot the incredible plane sequence.
Ahmanet– Sofia Boutella shares the excitement of reinventing a monster icon.
- Cruise in Action – A behind-the-scenes look at Tom Cruise’s most memorable Mummy stunts.
- Becoming Jekyll and Hyde – Find out how the casting of Russell Crowe brought a bold new dimension to the roles of Jekyll and Hyde.
- Choreographed Chaos – Watch as cast and filmmakers create an epic outdoors clash between ancient and modern worlds.
- Nick Morton: In Search of a Soul – Tom Cruise describes what drew him to play a man seemingly without a soul.
AhmanetReborn Animated Graphic Novel – Witness Ahmanet’sdescent into the monstrous underworld as she is reborn into the Goddess of Chaos and Wrath.
- Feature Commentary with director and producer Alex Kurtzman and cast members Sofia Boutella, Annabelle Wallis, and Jake Johnson
Sadly, this reboot was meant to be a momentous event, as it would usher in a new wave of reboots of the most memorable Universal Monsters, but was met with both poor reviews and a disappointing
With stars like Russell Crowe, Johnny Depp, and Javier Bardem all scheduled to star in films based on Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, the Invisible Man, and Frankenstein's Monster, it's uncertain if the lackluster response to the film will have a large impact on how Universal moves forward. The next film, Bride of Frankenstein, is aiming for a 2019 release.
The Mummy's synopsis is as follows:
"Thought safely entombed in a crypt deep beneath the unforgiving desert, an ancient queen (Sofia Boutella) whose destiny was unjustly taken from her is awakened in our current day, bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia and terrors that defy human comprehension.
"From the sweeping sands of the Middle East through hidden labyrinths under modern-day London, The Mummy brings a surprising intensity and balance of wonder and thrills in an imaginative new take that ushers in a new world of gods and monsters."
Photo Credit: Universal Studios / Chiabella James