Pizza + quesadilla = happy kids! If your kids can't get enough of the ooey gooey cheesy foods, we have good news: You don't have to feel bad anymore! We used skinny swaps (like part-skim cheese, turkey pepperoni and tons of veggies) so that our yummy recipe came in with a low calorie count. Make them as an after-school snack, pack them in the kiddos' lunchboxes, or even make one just for yourself! They're not just for kids!
Recipe: Ultimate Pizza Quesadilla
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 quesadilla
- 4 (9-inch) whole wheat high fiber, low carb tortillas
- 1½ cups light pizza sauce
- 1½ cups reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 24 turkey pepperoni (6 on each wedge)
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 cup thinly sliced white mushrooms
- Preheat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat the skillet with nonstick cooking spray and lay 1 tortilla.
- Spoon and spread 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce over the tortilla.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of cheese OVER HALF OF THE TORTILLA, followed by the turkey pepperoni, 2 tablespoons of the onions, 2 tablespoons of the green peppers, ¼ cup of the mushrooms, optional crushed red pepper, and the remaining 3 tablespoons cheese.
- Fold the tortilla in half, covering the filling, and cook until the quesadilla is golden brown, about 2-3 additional minutes.
- Carefully flip the quesadilla, so the filling doesn’t fall out. Continue to cook until the other side is golden brown, about another 2-3 minutes. Set it aside and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with other tortillas, or have several skillets going at once (tough, but doable if you have all your ingredients prepped and ready!)
- Slice in half and serve each quesadilla with a ¼ cup pizza sauce.
The nutrition content of recipes on Popculture.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.