A perfect meal to prep on Sunday and eat throughout the week, this Slow Cooker Black Bean and Sausage Soup is chock-full of bold, savory flavor that will leave you completely satisfied.
The combination of chicken sausage with beans and veggies is a powerful flavor burst that is more filling than most soups. I prefer to top the soup with light sour cream, cilantro and even some crushed red pepper flakes or hot sauce for a little jolt! This is a great dish to throw in the weekly plan to mix up your more common dinners!
Yield: 10 servings
Serving size: 1/10th of recipe
- 1 (10-ounce) package chicken sausage, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 3 (15-ounce) cans reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients together in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-6 hours, until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve with optional sour cream and cilantro garnish.
Per Serving: (1/10th of recipe)
Calories from fat: 19
Saturated Fat: 0g