Who doesn't love a good cornbread muffin? The cornmeal gives it that authentic cornbread taste, while skinny swaps like whole-wheat flour, almond milk and applesauce cut out tons of calories and fats. For only 132 calories and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per muffin, you really can't go wrong! Both the kids and Mom and Dad alike will love them.
» Looking for more healthy living ideas, workouts and recipes? Check us out on Pinterest!
Recipe: Whole-Wheat Cornbread Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 18-20 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Serving size: 1 muffin
- 1½ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat white flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray 12 muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg. Then add the almond milk, applesauce and melted butter.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix together until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each one about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden.
Per Serving: (1 muffin)
Calories from fat: 20
Saturated Fat: 1g
The nutrition content of recipes on Popculture.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.