Whether it's Thanksgiving or just another weeknight dinner, this stuffing is the way to go. Low-sodium vegetable broth, eggs, butter, onions, celery and a bunch of other yummy goodness come together to transform whole-wheat bread into a delicious side dish. At only 168 calories and 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving, you'll feel great serving this up to your family!
Yield: 9 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
- 1 pound whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 2½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 250° F. Lay the bread out between 2 baking sheets and bake to dry out, about 30-40 minutes.
- When cool, stack the slices and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 350° F and spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter, onions, and celery, cooking until they soften, 8-10 minutes. Add the herbs and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Working in batches or split between two large bowls, combine the bread cubes, vegetable mixture, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg, egg white, and broth. Add this mixture to the bread cube mixture and toss together gently with tongs to moisten all of the bread.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until brown on top and set in the center, 40-45 minutes.
Calories from fat: 39
Saturated Fat: 2g
The nutrition content of recipes on Popculture.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.