This is a fun alternative to a sweet potato casserole, since the contents will be served back in the potato skin. Instead of a calorie and fat-laden casserole recipe, we scooped out the centers of our sweet potatoes, added some non-fat Greek yogurt, cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg, mixed it all together and came up with these sweet and delicious sweet potatoes. The yogurt adds a slight tang that controls the sweetness of the brown sugar and potato.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 filled potato half
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 64 mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Wash the potatoes and dry them on a paper towel, then poke several holes in them with a fork, and brush the oil on the outsides of them.
- Wrap each potato in foil, place them on a baking sheet, and bake until fork-tender, 40-60 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F after taking the potatoes out of the oven.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to touch, cut them in half lengthwise, and scoop out the centers into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yogurt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the mixing bowl with the scooped-out potato centers. Mix in a stand mixer (or handheld mixer) until smooth.
- Evenly spoon the mixture back into the potato skins, and top with chopped pecans and 8 mini marshmallows.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the marshmallows are toasted and melting.
Calories from fat: 22
Saturated Fat: 1g
Sugar 7gProtein: 3g
The nutrition content of recipes on Popculture.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.