For the perfect sweet after-school treat, check out these Caramel Apple Bites! The kids can even make these themselves, and they'll love dipping their own apple bites in warm caramel and peanuts, chocolate chips or crushed graham crackers. You could even serve these cute hors d'oeuvres at a block party. Fair warning: They'll be devoured in about five minutes!
Pro tip: Use any topping you like, such as shredded coconut, sprinkles, crushed pretzels, crushed Oreo, etc. (Keep in mind the nutrition info is only for the toppings in this recipe.)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 3 apple bites (one of each variety)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup half & half
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large Granny Smith apple (about 18 bites)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted raw peanuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons graham crackers, crushed
- 18 toothpicks
- To make the caramel: In a glass bowl or measuring cup, melt the butter in the microwave.
- When it is melted, whisk in the sugar and half & half, then microwave the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and whisk the caramel together again, then microwave for an additional 2 minutes.
- Allow to cool before dipping the apple bites. (Seal leftover caramel in an airtight container.)
- To make the apple bites: Using a small melon baller, scoop out about 18 bites from the apple.
- Stick a toothpick into each bite, dip in the caramel and let the excess drip off. Each bite will have about 1 teaspoon of caramel on it.
- Immediately roll the caramel-dipped bites into the peanuts, chocolate chips or graham crackers (or topping of your choice) and serve.
Calories from fat: 63
Saturated Fat: 4g
The nutrition content of recipes on Popculture.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.