Recipe: Easy Shrimp Quinoa Bowl
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa, dry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 small zucchini, medium dice
- 2 small yellow squash, medium dice
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 6 cups spring mix (6 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons light balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- Heat a medium saucepan over high heat. Add 2 cups of chicken broth and the quinoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook until quinoa is cooked, 13-15 minutes.
- Remove the quinoa from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add the shrimp, cooking for 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet the shrimp was cooked in, lower the heat to medium and add the rest of the oil.
- Add the zucchini and squash, cooking until they begin to get tender, 6-8 minutes. Add the tomatoes during the last minute of cooking, to soften it slightly, then remove the skillet from the heat to cool slightly.
- Add the cooked shrimp and quinoa to the skillet with the vegetables and stir to combine.
- Plate the lettuce and layer the quinoa and shrimp mixture over it, then drizzle the light balsamic dressing over all of it.
Per Serving: (2½ cups)
Calories from fat: 117
Saturated Fat: 2g
The nutrition content of recipes on Popculture.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.