I love making this Skinny Chicken Florentine. It’s simple, delicious and low-calorie — and I can even get my little man Easton to eat it! Skinny swaps like whole-wheat linguine, low-fat cheese, low-sodium chicken broth and healthy spinach turn a calorie-laden comfort meal into a healthy and satisfying supper. Plus, there’s enough protein packed in for the mightiest of workouts!
Recipe: Skinny Chicken Florentine
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 18-20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
8 ounces whole-wheat linguine pasta, dry
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
black pepper, to taste
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed with excess moisture squeezed out
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the linguine according to package directions for al dente. Reserve ¼ to ½ cup of the pasta cooking water before draining.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Season the chicken with the salt and black pepper to taste and add to the skillet. Cook until done, 2-3 minutes on each side, and reserve the cooked chicken on a plate.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and spinach and set aside.
- In the same skillet the chicken was cooked in, over medium heat add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Increase the heat to high and whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Continuing cooking for 4-6 minutes, or until thickened.
- Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the lemon juice, cheese and spinach mixture, and stir until smooth and incorporated.
- Add in the reserved chicken and drained linguine pasta. Thin the sauce with 1 tablespoon of reserved pasta water at a time if needed.
- Gently toss the linguine and chicken together to evenly coat in the sauce, and serve.
Per Serving: (1 cup)
Calories: 334Calories from fat: 10
Saturated Fat: 4g
The nutrition content of recipes on SkinnyMom.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.