When Blumhouse announced it would be making a sequel in the Halloween franchise, the internet started buzzing about which up and coming horror director would help the highly anticipated movie. When it was announced that Danny McBride and David Gordon Green would write and direct it, reactions were split over hopeful and confused. McBride and Green are known for the comedic works like Pineapple Express and Your Highness, so how would they handle a serious horror film? During a recent interview with IndieWire, the two talked a little bit about what their intentions are and how close to their hearts the project is.
McBride remained tight-lipped about the project, but alluded to steering clear of the traditional slasher movie we've seen countless times. McBride revealed, "We can’t talk for too much about the Halloween reboot, but David and I had a long talk with each other about when people do these with movies, where it goes wrong. What pisses me off when it comes to something I like? We all came to the decision that remaking something that already works isn’t a good idea. So we just have a reimagining instead."
This is good news for all of us Halloween III: Season of the Witch fans, which completely diverted from the Michael Myers mythology. That film didn't perform as well financially as the studio had hoped, which is why they dove back into the Myers world, so don't expect this film to completely divert from the tried and true storylines.
Green went on to explain how the concept even started for the duo do make such an eagerly-anticipated sequel. The filmmaker detailed, "Jason Blum came to me. I’m a huge horror fan and I’ve never made one. I developed Suspiria for several years with Luca Guadagnino, who’s finishing directing it. It’s going to be incredible. I woke up at a hotel and had this email from Jason that said, 'Halloween reboot. You get it. What do you say?' I was just like, 'What the f**k does this mean?' I wrote him back and said, 'Call me immediately, my body is reacting to this,' because Halloween is one of those influential movies that I was never allowed to see and lied about having not seen to my parents for years. It hit all the right taboos, and it had a lore to it. We’re just writing it now."
To secure the gig, the filmmakers first had to pitch it to the master of horror himself, John Carpenter. McBride recalled, "The coolest part about that was going to John Carpenter and pitching him. If he didn’t like the take, it wouldn’t bode well. He’s one of my biggest heroes. I think we were just so concerned about getting the job that we didn’t think about how f**king scary that was to go sit down in front of him to tell him how we’d continue the story he’d created. It wasn’t until afterward that I realized, 'F**k, this could go so badly. We’ll be really hurt if he schools us right now.'"
Fans will have to wait until October 19, 2018 to see the film, but all this information sounds great so far.
Want the chance to win one of Logan's claws thanks to Regal & IMAX? Click the here or the image below to enter!